- Clean surfaces thoroughly prior to installation.
- Prepare surfaces using the methods recommended by the manufacturer for achieving the best result for the substrate under the project conditions.
- Determine prior to framing layout which corner treatment is to be utilized. Panels require a nailable area 5-1/4 inches (133 mm) of outside corners and 3-1/2 inches (89 mm) of inside corners.
- After framing is completed, install building paper horizontally, shingle style, beginning at bottom of wall with 3 inches (76 mm) overlaps.
- Corner boards, trim and molding:
- Shall be extended a minimum 1 inch (25.4 mm) from sheathing to allow for 7/8 inch (22 mm) depth of applied Shakertown Craftsman shingle panels.
Install in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Install shingle panels by attaching to solid nailable sheathing, spaced nailable sheathing or to studs.
- Install working from the lowest level up to the top of the wall area
- Furr out the bottom course of siding with 3/8 inch by 1 inch (9.5 by 25.4 mm) wood strips. Allow for canting of the first course of siding and install to level line.
- Drive nails flush with siding surface, penetrating studs at least 1/2 inch (12.7 mm).
- Maintain 1/8 inch (3 mm) spacing at corner boards and trim. Caulk with non-hardening sealant.
- Maintain 1/16 inch (1.6 mm) spacing between ends of panels in order to allow for natural expansion.
- Maintain 1/4 inch (6 mm) space from panel butt line and flashing.